The Ohio County Clerk's Office keeps official records of recorded births that occur in Ohio County; these records extend from 1853 to the present.
PLEASE NOTE, West Virginia is not an "open record" state. Therefore, restrictions apply on who may obtain a Birth Certificate.
Requirements for Obtaining a Birth Certificate
If making a request in person, you must have:
- A valid identification, from the list provided below
- Payment of $5.00 (cash or money order ONLY) per requested copy
Office hours are from Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
OR . . .
If requesting by mail, you must:
- Provide a written request (including the name, date of birth, parents' names including mother's maiden name) or complete the online request form available on this website
- Enclose a photocopy of your Driver's License or State-Issued ID
- Enclose $5.00 (cash or money order ONLY) per requested copy
- Provide a self-addressed stamped envelope that is at least 4" x 9.5" in size
Requests are generally processed/mailed the same day received.
Forms of Valid Identification
- Driver's License or State ID
- Major credit card with a photo of the card holder
In the event that you do not have any of the above forms of identification, but do have:
- Vehicle Insurance Card
- Vehicle Registration Card
- A current utility bill or pay stub with name and address
then we will mail the requested document to you, at the address listed on the document that you provided to us.
Forms of Documentation to Establish Relationship
Birth Certificates are generally issued to family members such as parents, spouses, adult children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, grandparents, and additional generations of the same, provided that they have identification that links them to the name on the Birth Certificate.
Remember, it is necessary to have identification that links you to the individual named on the Birth Certificate. A Driver's License or State Issued ID can be used along with Birth Certificates, other Death Certificates, and Marriage Certificates. IF SUCH DOCUMENTS ARE NOT ON RECORD IN THE OHIO COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE, IT IS THE REQUESTOR'S RESPONSIBILITY TO BRING CERTIFIED COPIES WITH THEM WHEN MAKING THE REQUEST.
If you wish to make a request by mail, you can use the "request by mail" form (available on this site) or send a letter with the pertinent information, as well as a photocopy of your Driver's License or State-Issued ID, document(s) to establish your connection to the individual listed on the Birth Certificate, and the fee of $5.00 per copy (cash or money order ONLY). The address for requesting additional copies is:
OHIO COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE
1500 CHAPLINE STREET
WHEELING, WV 26003
Please contact our Office with any questions
regarding how to obtain a Birth Certificate, at (304) 234-3729