Planning a wedding? Before getting married in West Virginia, couples must obtain a marriage license together, in person from the County Clerk’s Office. If either party resides in West Virginia, the couple must apply within the county where he/she resides, but may be married anywhere in the State of West Virginia.
We recommend that you apply prior to the day of your wedding in case of an unforeseen circumstance that may delay the issuance of your license. You must have a Marriage License before getting married. Both parties must be present together, at the time of the application.
Hours for Marriage License applications
at the Ohio County Clerk's Office are
8:30 am to 4:30 pm., Monday through Friday
You should know:
- Marriage Licenses do not require a blood test.
- The Marriage License will be issued while you wait and become effective immediately.
- Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and are effective ONLY in the State of West Virginia.
Our Office only issues the Marriage License.
- You will need to make arrangements for someone to perform the ceremony.
- The people who have the authority to marry, are Judges and Ministers.
- Ministers must be registered with the West Virginia Secretary of State.
- Judges require that an appointment be made in advance.
- We do not have a list of people who perform marriages.
Under West Virginia Law the Bride and Groom must:
- Not be immediate blood relatives (closer than second cousins)
- Be 18 years of age or older (if under 18 years of age, please contact our office)
In order to apply for a marriage license, couples must:
- Appear together at the time they make application for a Marriage License
- Fill out and sign a Marriage License application
- Present valid photo identification with proof of age (ie: driver's license, US Passport)
- Know your full social security number
- Pay a fee of $61.00 by cash or money order (checks and credit cards are NOT accepted). This fee includes payment for one certified copy of the Marriage Certificate which will be mailed to you once we receive your completed license. (Note: This fee is reduced to $41.00 if the applicants present a premarital educational course completion certificate dated within one year of the application for a marriage license).
- Provide a final DIVORCE DECREE to verify the final date of the most recent divorce, if one or both of the applicants are divorced.
- If you are a widow, you must provide the date of death of your deceased spouse.
- Both parties applying must know their full names and their place of birth.
- Provide mother and father's full names at birth (first, middle, and last) and city/state or foreign country of their births.
If you have any questions
regarding applying for a marriage license,
please call our Office at: (304) 234-3656